Utility workers in the Aquatics Section perform a variety of duties specific to aquatics including cleaning of pools, testing water quality, cleaning of facilities and restrooms, and light on site landscaping.
Utility workers in Community Centers are an important member of a center’s beautification team. Duties include cleaning and monitoring facilities and events, providing customer service to guests, and setting up and taking down meetings and event’s needs. This position performs a variety of physical work.
Permitting and Special Events
Utility workers in in the Permitting and Special Events Division work to load, deliver and set up event related equipment in support of the Mayor, Council Members and other City of Sacramento sponsored events. Permitting and Special Events utility workers primarily perform physical work (ability to lift 60lbs.) outdoors in parks, primarily on weekends and evenings, must be at least 18, and have a California Class C Driver’s License.
Under supervision, to perform general clean-up and maintenance tasks. Delivers and operates miscellaneous equipment as required.
Employees in this classification are non-career.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Immediate supervision is provided by higher level personnel.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Dependent upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Sweeps, cleans, and maintains buildings and other facilities.
- Performs janitorial and ground maintenance.
- Disinfects and scrubs toilet facilities and showers.
- Assists in maintaining the City’s water, sewer, and flood control system by picking up debris, clearing weeds, cleaning tanks, sedimentation basins, and screens.
- Prepares baseball and softball fields for games.
- Delivers and operates equipment.
- Assists in maintaining pool facilities.
- Assists as necessary in special programs relating to recreation activities.
- Performs related work as required.
- Perform a variety of physically demanding cleaning and maintenance tasks for extended periods of time.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Work day shift, night shift, and weekends.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and the general public.
Some assignments may require a valid California Class C Driver License.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (3/1/2020);
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009011-20-YPCE on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.