Under general supervision, monitor open water recreation, perform river and beach rescues, and provide emergency medical treatment; may also supervise, coordinate, and lead athletics, nature, music, or arts and crafts activities at Camp Sacramento.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Direction is provided by a higher-level position. Senior Camp Aquatics Leaders may provide lead direction to Camp Recreation Leaders, Camp Aides and/or volunteer staff.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Senior Camp Aquatics Leader is distinguished from the Camp Recreation Leader in that the former is responsible for performing lifeguard duties that include guarding an open water area in addition to leading activities at Camp Sacramento. The Senior Camp Aquatics Leader is distinguished from the Camp Program Director in that the Camp Program Director is responsible for the administration of all camp group activities.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Monitor and maintain observation of swimmers in a river and designated section of a beach; respond to calls for help or signs of distress from camp residents.
- Protect and warn the public of beach and water hazards; provide emergency response to water and beach areas including emergency rescues, first aid, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Plan, organize, and lead hikes for participants in areas surrounding Camp Sacramento.
- Interact positively with elementary aged youth, adolescents, and adults.
- Lead and direct recreation activities for all ages.
- Inventory, maintain, clean, and organize recreation, activity, and rescue supplies and equipment; recommend replacement of supplies and equipment, as necessary.
- Lead softball, volleyball, basketball, and other camp team sports; officiate camp athletic events.
- Organize and lead tournaments for all ages, such as ping pong, pool, etc.
- Clean and maintain all athletic facilities and surrounding areas.
- Develop arts and crafts activities and lead the instruction of these activities; lead kiln firings.
- Assist with music related events/shows, camp fires, dances, and movie activities.
- Oversee auditions and organize acts for camp talent show.
- Follow all staff policies and procedures.
- Perform related dues as required.
- Water safety and rescue techniques.
- Basic knowledge of Sierra flora and fauna.
- Arts and crafts.
- Outdoor safety awareness.
- Softball, volleyball, basketball, and other team sport rules.
- Principles of customer service.
- Swim in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Meet and maintain physical endurance requirements.
- Maintain constant focus and observation of an assigned area for persons in distress and hazardous conditions, assess situation, and take appropriate action.
- Perform first aid and CPR.
- Remain calm and quickly adopt effective course of action in emergency situations.
- Lead group hikes of various levels of difficulty.
- Lead, assist, and participate in recreational activities and programs.
- Be flexible.
- Speak in front of large groups.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
Three (3) months of experience leading recreation aquatic activities or serving as a lifeguard.
Possession of or ability to obtain: 1) First Aid certificate or other designated agency that meets the California State Codes for Ocean Lifeguards; 2) CPR for the Professional Rescuer certificate; and, 3) Waterfront Lifeguard certification.
Training to meet the CPR, First Aid, and Waterfront Lifeguard certification requirements will be provided for successful candidates.
PROOF OF CERTIFICATION
Proof of the required certificate and/or license must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 596-1556, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax/email, please include your name and Job #009133-20-YPCE on your documents. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable. Important note: Applications will be rejected without proof of the required certification or license.
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.
Must successfully pass a physical and criminal background check.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Loss of the Class C License is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates who do not possess the required Waterfront Lifeguard certification must participate in a mandatory Waterfront Lifeguard training that will occur in May. Successful candidates must also participate in mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, involving swimming, walking, sitting and standing for extended periods, bending, stooping, pushing, and pulling; and, lift and carry materials and objects weighing 30 to 50 pounds. Must be able to withstand prolonged exposure to cold weather, water, sun, and the beach and river environment; work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations. May be exposed to hazardous materials and communicable diseases. Employees of this classification must be able to pass the physical requirements of the waterfront certification course.
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts and are exposed to cold weather conditions.THE SELECTION PROCEDUREPlease note, the City of Sacramento’s preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009133-20-YPCE on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.