Please note: Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September. Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.
Under supervision, carries out programs for both indoor and outdoor activities for persons with physical, intellectual, and developmental disabilities. Works directly with participants to encourage enthusiasm and create positive experiences. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed:
- Assists in leading, teaching and conducting recreation activities, such as arts and crafts, various games and sports, social recreation, nature activities, camping, community singing and informal music activities.
- Assists in organizing socials, tournaments, dances, festivals, camping trips, field trips, and special events.
- Assists in the preparation of programs, announcements, bulletins and related materials needed to promote program activities.
- Assists participants with feeding, bathroom needs, lifting, and other services, as needed.
- Basic first aid practices.
- Speak and write effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and other employees.
- Demonstrating patience, energy, and enthusiasm.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
High school graduation or GED equivalency.
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Some assignments may require 12-hour shifts, evenings, and weekends; some may require overnight responsibilities at residential camps.
Frequently bend, walk, kneel, stoop, reach and lift; ability to individually lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50, and up to 100 pounds with assistance; ability to assist with transferring clients with disabilities from assistive devices; possess near and far acuity and depth perception with or without correction; ability to sit for long periods of time; occasional exposure with human biological hazards.
Work may take place either indoors or outdoors.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical exam and criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento’s preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (3/1/2020);
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009038-20-YPCE on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.