Triple-R Adult Day Program is looking for friendly and caring people to work part time at this upbeat adult day program providing recreational activities for older adults with early to late stage memory loss. As a Recreation Aide, you will work in a supportive team environment providing social stimulation for elders through music, dance, food and conversation. Our ideal candidate has positive energy and passions/hobbies to share in the program; takes initiative and is patient; and enjoys working with older adults.
On a part-time basis, lead, monitor, and/or assist with a variety of recreation activities, special events, or human service programs for older adults including those with memory loss; provide personal care assistance.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Recreation Aide, Older Adults is distinguished from the Recreation Aide classification in that the former works with an older adult population.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Immediate supervision is provided by a higher-level position. Recreation Aides may provide direction to volunteers and/or youth aides.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed:
- Lead various group activities adapted for older adults and older adults with memory loss including, but not limited to: arts congregate meal, exercise, and human service programs, arts, crafts, singing, dancing, group walks, games and reminiscing.
- Initiate and encourage socialization among participants.
- Assist older adults with personal care needs and mobility issues.
- Ensure the safety of participants by monitoring for wandering and other behaviors related to memory loss.
- Greet and welcome participants, visitors, and volunteers.
- Compile basic written records related to assigned programs or facility.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Answer the telephone and serve older adult population at a public counter.
- Promote neighborhood and community recreation events specifically for older adults.
- Perform a variety of tasks necessary for the daily functioning of the facility, including but not limited to, reservations, compiling data for statistical reports, maintaining inventory records, and operating computers and other office equipment.
- Monitor facility use; prepare and set up facilities for recreational use.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
- Basic office methods and equipment.
- Lead and/or monitor a variety of recreation programs and activities designed specifically for older adults and older adults with memory loss.
- Provide personal care to older adults including assistance with eating, using the restroom, and mobility.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Work with older adults who have memory loss and/or are physically frail.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
For elder-care positions, candidates must meet qualifications in accordance with current laws and regulations.
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of
appointment. Loss of the Class C License is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be considered for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass criminal background check.
- Pass a medical exam and tuberculosis screening test.
This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
This is an active position requiring the ability to move about on foot, with frequent walking and standing; frequent starts and stops; perform simple and power grasping; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and staff; visual acuity to read and record documents and make observations, intermittently, lift, carry or move equipment of 35 pounds or less; ability to assist with the transfer of participants including, but not limited to, chair to wheelchair.
May be required to work evenings and weekends.
Work is performed primarily indoors with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and includes contact with human biological hazards when assisting participants with bathroom care.THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (3/1/2020);
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009140-20-YPCE on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.