|Broad Scope and Function||This position is responsible for the collection, preparation, data entry, verification, and organization of all payroll and benefit data as well as a variety of assignments in the University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) Payroll unit necessary to ensure the accurate and timely processing of payroll. This position must explain UEI policies and procedures as they relate to payroll as well as federal and state labor laws.|
|Reporting Relationship||The position reports directly to and receives general supervision from the Assistant Payroll Manager.|
|Conditions of Employment||This is a full-time, non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay), benefited position that is covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.|
|Minimum Qualifications||1. Demonstrated experience in performing a variety of payroll preparation, record keeping, and transaction assignments including experience with the methods, practices and principles of payroll preparation and the ability to maintain proper records, controls, and fiscal information.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of the federal and state laws, ordinances, and regulations applicable to payroll, including those affecting the maintenance of payroll records and determination of proper payments.
3. Demonstrated experience in data entry, 10-key numeric keypad, and the use of computer systems and software applications including HR or Payroll databases, word processing, and spreadsheets related to payroll functions.
4. Demonstrated ability to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, wage calculations and tax calculations. Demonstrated ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
5. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain job priorities when there are changes in the workload, frequent interruptions, and competing deadlines.
6. Demonstrated ability to answer a variety of payroll questions and concerns from timekeepers, employees, and supervisors.
7. Demonstrated ability to prepare, review, and analyze information, define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
8. Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a detail-oriented capacity and as part of a team.
9. Demonstrated experience working with and maintaining sensitive, confidential information.
10. Excellent command of the English language including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
11. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
|Physical Requirements||Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, fax machines, and folder/inserter machine.|
|Working Conditions||Work is performed in an office environment; continuous contact with staff and the campus community.|
|Project Description||Payroll Services provides accurate financial information to UEI departments, federal and state agencies, banking institutions, and auditors. Employees receive timely and accurate payroll checks, direct deposits, and annual W-2s, and federal and state government offices receive information for payroll wage and tax reporting. Payroll Services also maintains and processes employer-provided benefits and payroll deductions.|
|Job Duty||01. Maintains the employee database as it relates to payroll such as entering new hire account distribution and tax information, verifying rate change information, processing W-4 and direct deposit information, gathering and organizing payroll data, reviewing employee information ensuring proper pay class, hour codes and Non Resident Alien (NRA) information.|
|Job Duty||02. Verifies and audits automated time and attendance records ensuring they are completed accurately with proper pay codes and account codes. Reviews hours worked under Federal and State labor laws, making corrections when necessary. Verifies prior pay period adjustments to time reports; balances batches and verifies any data entry ensuring correct pay rates are applied. Notifies employees of discrepancies in time reporting.|
|Job Duty||03. Distributes payroll checks and W-2s, contacts employees regarding outstanding checks, logs correspondence, and prepares records to return unclaimed checks to the state.|
|Job Duty||04. Calculates and prepares manual checks when necessary; calculates and prepares retroactive pay adjustments; reports stop payment requests and processes replacement check; identifies potential payroll problems and discusses them with the Assistant Payroll Manager.|
|Job Duty||05. Maintains and verifies accrual records for sick leave, vacation, holiday, and personal leave. Monitors employee service credit and ensures accrual increases are processed timely. Accurately logs quarterly accrual information into spreadsheet including pay rate, percentage, and account information.|
|Job Duty||06. Processes semi-monthly, monthly, and quarterly payments for miscellaneous employee deductions and contributions, such as: TIAA Retirement, United Way, tax sheltered annuity payments, CSUEU–SEIU (Labor Union), employee wage garnishments, and Workers’ Compensation; ensuring proper documentation, accurate billing information and reconciliation to the General Ledger and Payroll Systems.|
|Job Duty||07. Provides training to employees and supervisors regarding the timekeeping system and the employee self-service system.|
|Job Duty||08. Answers phones and greets visitors providing information on payroll policies and procedures and/or related payroll functions; distributes checks; directs callers/visitors to other staff as appropriate.|
|Job Duty||09. Assists employees and supervisors with questions regarding payroll policies, procedures, and pay received.|
|Job Duty||10. Verifies that time records of minors adhere to federal and state labor laws. Reports discrepancies to the Assistant Payroll Manager.|
|Job Duty||11. Scans and indexes documents and maintains scanned files to ensure all records are accounted for. Reports issues to the Assistant Payroll Manager.|
|Job Duty||12. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.|
|Number of Vacancies|
|Position End Date (if temporary)|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions Summary||If you do not include both a cover letter and resume with your application, your application materials will not be considered. Please include your employment history in the “Employment Experience” section of your application in addition to submitting your resume and cover letter.|
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- UEIJobs Website
- Interest Card Emails
- Career Fair
- Campus Career Center
- Personal Referral
- Sacramento Bee
- Internal Job Posting
- The WELL hiring expo
- If other, please specify.(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have demonstrated experience in the methods, practices, and principles of payroll preparation and fiscal reporting?
- * Please describe your experience in processing payroll and fiscal reporting and tell us how many employees you processed payroll for.(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have demonstrated knowledge of the state and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations applicable to payroll, including those affecting the maintenance of payroll records and determination of proper payments?
- * Do you have experience working within an HR or Payroll database, word processing program, and spreadsheets related to payroll functions?
- * Please describe the processes you follow to maintain proper payroll records, controls, and fiscal information.(Open Ended Question)
- * Please share an example of a situation in which research and analytics allowed you to develop an effective solution to a problem.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter