Please note: Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September. Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.
On an intermittent basis, provide medical care to program participants with developmental, intellectual, or physical impairments/disabilities at Access Leisure Camps.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents may work up to 1040 hours per year.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This is a single position classification that does not supervise. Immediate supervision is provided by a higher-level position. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Depending on assignment, incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Oversee medical and safety needs for medically fragile children at a remote camping facility.
- Administer medications, perform catheterization and/or tube feedings, and dressing changes as prescribed.
- Keep records of daily medications delivered, first aid administered and observed health-related issues.
- Store and secure all participant medications.
- Prepare and maintain first aid kit for each camping trip.
- Assist participants with health-related self-care such as, bowel and bladder regiments and nutrition and fluid intake, and hygiene.
- Provide medical care and first aid for campers, staff and volunteers.
- Observe all areas of camp to ensure optimum levels of health and safety for campers, volunteers and staff.
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Nursing principles, procedures and techniques.
- State of California nursing laws and regulations.
- Proper handling and administering of biological substances.
- Standard medical record keeping.
- Universal precautions.
- Comply with laws, rules, regulations, and protocols.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assess a variety of medical situations.
- Make sound independent and timely nursing decisions; recognize and respond appropriately to participant change in status.
- Remain calm, think clearly, and act rapidly in an emergency situation.
- Accurately record services rendered.
- Read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Possession of a current Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse license issued by the State of California.
One year of RN or LVN nursing experience.
PROOF OF CERTIFICATION
Proof of the required certificate and/or license must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 596-1556, or emailed to email@example.com by the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax/email, please include your name and Job #009136-20-YPCE-1 on your documents. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable. Important note: Applications will be rejected without proof of the required certification or license.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Possess and maintain current CPR and First Aide certification. Wilderness First Aide certification is preferred.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Ability to walk, stand, and bend; perform simple and power grasping; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and staff; visual acuity to read and record documents and make observations; ability to assist participants with mobility impairment intermittently, lift, carry or move equipment of 25 pounds or less.
Work may be performed outdoors with exposure to heat, and cold, sun, noise, dust, and pollens; potential exposure to infectious diseases and biological hazards. Must possess the ability to live and work in wilderness conditions, including tent camping.
Work is performed at campsites outside of the Sacramento, CA area. Employees are required to reside at the campsite for various periods throughout the year with camp participants. Employees in this position are required to work weekend, evening, and night shifts.THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento’s preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009136-20-YPCE-1 on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.