Position: Marketing and Communications Manager
Program: Development and Communications Status: Non Exempt
Reports to: V.P., Chief Development Officer Date Revised: 10/2020
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring consistent messaging across all
communications channels. The person in this role will be the primary content developer for internal and
external communications. They will create and manage an editorial calendar, as well as managing all
aspects of VOA NCNN’s digital and social media presence. In close coordination with the full marketing
and development team, the Marketing and Communications Manager will play a critical role in developing
materials, campaigns, promotions and events to achieve fundraising goals. All work must be performed in
a cost effective and service-oriented manner as it relates to established organizational standards.
A. General Marketing and Communications
1. Establishes and supports agency-wide initiatives related to the VOA NCNN’s brand, building
relationships, communicating service excellence and image in communities and fields where
Volunteers of America NCNN is a player.
2. Develops content to effectively communicate the brand in alignment with the organization’s
mission, vision and values. Ensures consistency across channels and mediums (website, social
media, email, newsletters and other collateral). Acts as agency guide for brand in internal and
3. Actively manages digital channels, with emphasis on the website and social media community
management to help reach goals and objectives.
4. Coordinates media relations activities in alignment with funder and VOA NCNN’s priorities.
5. Supports the operations team by developing materials such as impact reports, presentations and
program-specific fact sheets.
6. Regularly captures client stories to be used for development and marketing collateral.
B. Digital Media Management
1. Manage all aspects of VOA NCNN’s digital media presence (website, Facebook, Instagram,
Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube).
2. Drive strategy to increase reach, engagement and fundraising on social media platforms.
3. Lead content creation for social media, including written content, images, tweets, posts &
4. Increase awareness for key VOA NCNN initiatives and events, such as Shelter from the Storm
breakfasts and new program launches.
5. Develop engaging email and newsletter content to increase open and click rates.
6. Report out on digital analytics (web, email, social media, earned media)
7. Leverage key metrics across platforms to optimize content, messaging and distribution.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is required. Individuals must have a strong background in
nonprofit/social impact/public affairs communications and content development, with three to five years
minimum public relations and marketing experience. Knowledge and experience navigating social or
human services environment and developing compelling digital content is required. The Marketing and
Communications Manager will have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to manage
multiple projects simultaneously.
Necessary skills include proficiency with computers and a strong eye for design, preferably using Adobe
Creative Suite, Photo Shop, In Design, content management systems, social media platforms, and standard
Microsoft software. Ideal candidate must have a strong desire to work for an organization dealing with
issues unique to homelessness, substance abuse, young adults, seniors, and persons with disabilities. A valid
California driver’s license and ability to meet organizations insurance carrier guidelines required.
Background check required.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED:
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Working with a team
Analytical and decision-making ability
Lift and move up to 30 pounds
Physically able to safely maneuver weight distribution for event set ups
Stand, walk, bend, stoop, and sit frequently
Climb stairs as needed
NATURE OF SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
Daily activities are many times performed independently with accessible guidance and direction from the
V.P., Chief Development Officer. This person must be able to function both independently and in a team
environment, working towards attainment of operational goals. The Marketing and Communications
Manager is expected to exercise their own discretion and independent judgment in the performance of all
of the essential functions of the position.
This position does not supervise, however, may be delegated training and lead responsibilities to assigned
support as needs may require.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR BUSINESS CONTACTS:
This position requires daily contact with outside contacts, board members, clients, and all levels of staff.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for promoting company image and adhering
to company practices and procedures, while establishing and maintaining good working relationships with
all individuals with whom he/she interacts. Tact, discretion, and resourcefulness are required at all times.
Substantial financial loss through loss of business contracts is possible. Responsible for actively
participating in the development and adherence to the program budget.
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES:
No employees report to this position at this time.
This Marketing and Communications Manager job description does not constitute a written or
implied contract and may be changed as business needs arise.
Indicate anything that would keep you from meeting the job duties as outlined above.
Employee Signature____________________________________ Date Signed ______________