SIERRA NEVADA JOURNEYS
Sierra Nevada Journeys is committed to delivering innovative outdoor, science-based education
programs for youth to develop critical thinking skills and to inspire natural resource stewardship. Sierra Nevada Journeys prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that active reflection,
engagement, and commitment to these principles is crucial to creating a workplace that has diverse
We believe that environmental education and outdoor recreation should be accessible for all, and we
are committed to prioritizing those in our community with the least access. We strive to build our
workforce and programs around our ability to serve communities diverse in race, ethnicity, gender,
sexual orientation, age, physical and mental ability, values and perspectives.
To achieve this vision, we focus on building sustainable partnerships with schools and communities
that serve the youth who have the least access to high-quality science education and outdoor learning
experiences. We invite continuous voice from these partners, and the youth and families they serve, to
inform how we design and deliver culturally relevant and inclusive programs. It is with this vision in
mind that we pursue our mission, striving to become the equitable and inclusive organization that the
youth of our communities deserve.
WHO WE WANT
When you join our team at Sierra Nevada Journeys you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that requires broad collaboration among staff, administration, students and community partners. We value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations.
Therefore, we prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings our
organization. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual committed to collaborating with staff, administration, students and community partners to deliver innovative outdoor, sciencebased education programs for youth to develop critical thinking skills and to inspire natural resource.
We recruit a workforce that reflects our audience. We value our employees by fostering a culture where the unique backgrounds and perspectives of our staff are seen and heard, and by providing
sustainable compensation, mentorship and professional development opportunities.
Sierra Nevada Journeys is seeking a Finance Director with a successful track record in strategic and
operational finance leadership. The Finance Director leads finance and accounting for the 501(c)3,
serving 35,000 students annually, with an annual budget currently of $4M and rapid annual growth.
Key areas of responsibility include multi-year strategic financial planning, cost accounting projects to
determine program profitability, board-level financial reports, annual budgeting/forecasting, and
partnering with staff leads to analyze operations and implement finance policies. Additionally, the
Finance Director oversees payroll, AP/AR, contracts management, financial grant reporting, and audit preparation. This is an opportunity to be part of a dedicated and rapidly growing team, while working for an organization with a compelling mission and a strong culture of accountability and high quality.
The Finance Director reports to the CEO, and is a member of a six-person executive leadership team.
The Finance Director manages a part-time bookkeeper, and is the staff liaison to the Board Finance
Committee. Payroll is conducted through a third party, and is managed by the HR Director with
oversight from the Finance Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Strategic financial analysis, cost accounting analysis, scenario planning – 25%
• Annual budgeting, quarterly board financial reports, monthly forecasting — 25%
• Overseeing AP/AR, payroll, audit prep, cash management, and banking relationships – 25%
• Financial grant reporting – 15%
• Contracts management, leases, insurances, evaluating cost saving opportunities – 10%
OUR JOURNEY TO A MORE DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORKPLACE
Sierra Nevada Journeys celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe that an ongoing
engagement, understanding and commitment to these principles is crucial to creating a workplace that has broad perspectives. We believe that environmental educations and outdoor recreation should be accessible for all. We believe that a workplace accessible to people from all different walks of life help us to serve society as a whole and all of its different communities.
• Demonstrated success leading complex financial operation day-to-day while leading
strategically important finance projects
• Demonstrated success working collaboratively with multiple department leads
• Successful experiences applying cost accounting principles to evaluate product-line profitability
• Experience with cash reserve management and managing close banking relationships
• Experience successfully budgeting long-term maintenance of real property assets
• Ability to make day trips occasionally to our key locations in Reno, Sacramento, and Portola, CA
• All employees and volunteers are required to attest in writing they have up-to-date
immunizations against the diseases required for public school attendance in the State in which
they work as a condition of employment. All employees will be required to receive a COVID-19
Vaccination when it is reasonably available within one month of their ‘tier’ being permitted to
receive a vaccination by their home state, and will be required to attest in writing that they
have an up-to-date immunization for COVID-19 within one month of their ‘tier’ being permitted
to access vaccinations.
• Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds
of our program participants and fellow colleagues.
• Experience with nonprofit finance and grant-based financial reporting
• Experience managing reporting on federal or state government contracts or grants
• Experience working on a team tackling Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the workplace
• Experience successfully working with a Board of Directors, and a Finance Committee
• COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Competitive compensation: $90,000 – $105,000
• Join an innovative, purpose driven organization serving our community through education
• Generous PTO
• Medical, dental and vision benefits (covers 90% for employee and 25% for dependents)
• 403(b) retirement plan
• Flexible work schedule and office environment, with established collaborative culture
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to Meredith Johnson, HR Director, at
firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email please include “Finance Director” and your last name. Before applying, please learn more about our organization and impacts.
Sierra Nevada Journeys is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who
represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected
veteran or disabled status or genetic information