Position Title: Communications and Volunteer Coordinator
Department: Fund Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Compensation: $20-$22/hour, medical/dental benefits, 2% retirement match, cell phone and mileage reimbursement, and paid time off accrual
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Microsoft Office (word, excel, etc.): 1 year (Preferred)
- Creative writing: 1 year (Preferred)
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento (Habitat) provides local families with a springboard to secure, stable futures through affordable homeownership, home repairs, and neighborhood revitalization.
Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer, the Communications and Volunteer Coordinator creates and drives content for Habitat’s social media and external communications, oversees the community volunteer program, and supports the overall operations of the Development Department. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: developing and curating content for Habitat’s external communications including marketing for our Habitat Sacramento ReStore, building Habitat’s reach and presence across a variety of websites, social networks, and digital platforms, coordinating and growing Habitat Sacramento’s volunteer resources to meet the needs of our expanding nonprofit organization, event support, as well as the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety
This position is designed for a creative, energetic, and outgoing individual who is interested in mobilizing community participation and engagement with Habitat and the Habitat ReStore through our volunteer program and communications. Must possess strong verbal and written communication, exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills, be flexible to changing circumstances and have the ability to maintain balance in a fast-paced working environment.
Communications/Marketing/Social Media (40%)
• Support ReStore and the affiliate communications and social media channels and marketing content
• Create impactful content for social media and digital platforms that promotes engagement and action
• Support print and digital marketing content such as blog posts, ReStore signage, website copy, and email communications
• Analyze communications and giving trends and keep up-to-date on best-practices
• Evaluate success of digital marketing efforts through analytical reports
Volunteer Management (40%)
• Recruit, train, schedule and recognize local volunteers (Habitat engages over 2,000 volunteers a year)
• Assist with all aspects of volunteer management including orientations, maintenance of database,
volunteer tracking and follow-up
• Support volunteer stewardship and build relationships to grow the overall volunteer base and advance individual and group partnerships
Organizational Infrastructure and Department Support (20%)
• Troubleshoot issues related to online portals
• Ensure all ReStore and affiliate data and activities are accurately documented and tracked in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge CRM database
• Event and additional support for Chief Development Officer and affiliate as needed
Skills and background
• Must have robust personal or professional experience using Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube
• Competent photography skills (with a smartphone, iPhone preferred – no professional experience
• Must enjoy social media and engaging with other people both online and in person
• Comfortable working with and interviewing diverse members of the Habitat community with sensitivity, including homeowners, volunteers, and supporters
• A knack for taking compelling, people-centered photos and video that are fit to post to a large online
audience on Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento’s social channels.
• Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude
• Minimum of one year of professional nonprofit or applicable professional marketing / writing / relationship building experience.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs; Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, WordPress, and VolunteerHub a plus
• Must be able to pass background check Licenses, Certificates, Other Skills: Preferred candidates will have a valid California driver’s license and meet our organization’s automobile insurability requirement. Selected certifications may be required (CPR certification, etc.) at the organization’s expense.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. Employee may occasionally be asked to work in the ReStore or at Construction build sites for special events, Board functions, or training meetings.
Work Hours: In general, Tuesday-Saturday 7:30a -4:00 pm. One Thursday a month, this position will need to work in the evening to oversee the once-a-month volunteer orientation. Additional occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
Physical Requirements: Candidate should have the ability to sit comfortably for prolonged time periods. Position will also include occasional standing, lifting items up to 40 pounds, walking, and bending/squatting. This position requires outreach in the community, including visiting active construction sites. This position will occasionally be engaged in community build or improvement projects, such as community clean-ups, serving outside in various
types of weather.