Under immediate supervision, assist staff with delivering recreation programs and activities; perform cleaning and light maintenance of recreational equipment and facilities such as, the dining hall, restrooms, and common areas; provide customer service for guests; and, process sales transactions at the camp store.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Immediate supervision is provided by a higher-level position. Camp Aides do not supervise.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESThe following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Greet camp participants.
- Assist with the delivery of programs and events for camp participants.
- Interact positively with elementary aged youth, adolescents, and adults.
- Set up, serve food, and wash dishes.
- Perform minor repairs to cabins, facilities, and grounds.
- Perform light maintenance of camp including cleaning and maintaining common areas, equipment, restrooms, facilities, camp store, camp grounds, and dining hall.
- Operate custodial equipment, such as brooms, mops, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Operate cash register, collect, and count money.
- Maintain camp store inventory.
- Learn and follow routines required by camp schedule to meet the needs of the kitchen, dining hall, camp store, camp lobby, and other camp operations.
- Follow all staff policies and procedures.
- Respond to public inquiries in a professional manner; provide information within the area of assignment.
- Principles of customer service.
- Assist with and participate in recreational activities and programs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and camp participants.
- Operate custodial equipment.
- Basic mathematical principles.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Read and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
No experience required.
- Must be at least 16 years old by time of appointment.
- All students under the age of 18 must have a work permit prior to first day of work.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical exam and a criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying materials and objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations; exposed to cold weather conditions.
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts. THE SELECTION PROCEDUREPlease note, the City of Sacramento’s preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the “Work Experience” section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If “see resume” is noted in the “Work Experience” section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the “Work Experience” section.
- Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com, FAX to (916) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name and Job #009045-20-YPCE-2 on your documents.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) – Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM – 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.