What is the primary purpose of this position?
Under general supervision, the Assistant to the Dean of Students at St. Francis Catholic High School
coordinates, oversees, and/or performs a wide variety of administrative support activities for the
Dean of Students. This position is responsible for attendance tracking and discipline processing. This
position also provides backup front office support to the Front Office Administrative Assistant and can
be the first line of greeting for guests. The person in this role must possess a high degree of integrity
as the role is exposed to sensitive and confidential information. This person must exercise good
judgment and be able to make sound decisions with minimal supervision.
List all major job functions performed on a regular basis.
All areas of responsibility must be operated consistent with the Catholic mission of the school.
● Screens and handles telephone communications for the Dean of Students.
● Establishes and maintains files and records for the Dean of Students.
● Composes and prepares written documentation and correspondence for the Dean of
● Assists with various projects as directed by the Dean of Students.
● Processes and enforces school attendance and discipline policies and procedures.
● Gathers, enters and maintains attendance records in tracking system.
● Maintains and tracks discipline records.
● Reports attendance concerns to the Dean of Students.
Front Office Support
● Attends to administrative problems and inquiries, as appropriate.
● Assists the Dean with safety training for all staff.
● Meets the public tactfully and courteously to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
● Assists the School Secretary by answering phones and greeting members of the community.
● Attends to and triages ill and injured students.
● Interacts with students on a continual basis regarding attendance, discipline, and other
student needs. Communicates with students with balance of compassion and authority,
appropriate to the situation.
● Other duties may be required as needed.
List skills/experience required for adequate performance in this position. List preferred
experience and skills, if any.
High school graduate or equivalent; bachelor’s degree preferred.
First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
Three to five years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
● Positive and outgoing demeanor.
● Proficiency in office computer programs and equipment.
● Ability to take the initiative to problem solve.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to accurately read a situation and
determine appropriate level of response.
● Ability to maintain high standards of professional behavior at all times.
● Excellent organization skills – ability to focus on accuracy in details while multi-tasking in a
● Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues, administration,
campus-wide faculty/staff, students, parents, and families.
● Demonstrated commitment to handling confidential and sensitive information with the
highest standards of discretion.
● Flexibility to adjust job schedule as appropriate to attend events.
● Ability to discern safety situations quickly and respond appropriately.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Students (St. Francis Catholic High School)