ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION VACANCY
Event Services Coordinator
University Enterprises, Inc., a non-profit auxiliary of Sacramento State, is seeking an Event Services Coordinator for our University Union. The University Union has been known as “the living room of the university” since we opened our doors in 1975. Centrally located on campus, we host
programs and house services for education, cultural, and social experiences. Our three-story building offers numerous dining options, event spaces, recreational opportunities, and informal lounge spaces for socializing, studying, and relaxing. The University Union facility, totaling approximately
220,000 square feet, currently houses campus food service operations, retail operations, multiple meeting and conference spaces, Associated
Students, Inc., Student Organizations and Leadership offices, Women’s Resource Center, PRIDE Center, KSSU Student Radio, Information Desk,
Games Room, Union Gallery, Relaxation Lounge, Student Computer Lounge, Meditation Room, computer and printer workstations throughout the
building, a University Police Service Center, two Mothers’ Lounges, the ASI Food Pantry, and various open lounge spaces and foodservice seating. To
learn more about the University Union at Sac State, visit https://theuniversityunion.com/
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a full-time, non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay), benefited position that is
covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause. Sacramento State University requires all campus employees, including auxiliary employees, to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they
have a qualifying exemption.
RATE OF PAY: $3,361 – $5,042 per month
Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Event Planning, Event Management, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience. Demonstrated experience coordinating special events, including public relations, and marketing. Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in planning events and function space use for a wide variety of purposes. Demonstrated experience with evaluating multiple competing priorities for space and skill in recognizing potential conflicts. Ability to interpret and apply policies equitably and to identify unusual requirements and situations
that require special sensitivity. Familiarity with a college union or other institutional operation, such as a hotel or resort.
Demonstrated ability to work within established work systems and procedures and to keep detailed records in order to maintain consistency of service. Demonstrated skills in meeting people easily and effective communication with all levels of employees and customers. Ability to maintain composure and a professional demeanor during crises while exercising tact and good judgment. Demonstrated understanding of catering services and menu planning. Demonstrated ability to complete multiple concurrent tasks, encounter interruptions often, and problem-solve in a highly active environment.
Demonstrated experience in clerical methods and procedures needed to support the Event Services department functions. Excellent command of English usage, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated experience using computer applications, including databases, spreadsheets, word processing, and forms management, such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite. Demonstrated skill in working in
a fast-paced environment while setting priorities and accurately completing work assignments. Experience which shows the ability to establish standards for quality service and attention to detail. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
Demonstrated communication skills in Spanish. Experience using Social Tables, Master Calendar, AD ASTRA, or EMS Reservation software.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position utilizes a computerized reservation system to facilitate and coordinate arrangements for special events, including room set-ups, catering orders, audio/visual, production services, security, parking, equipment rentals, and other services to support events held in the University Union function rooms. The position advises each customer in the most effective method of planning and executing their event at the University Union facility. The position reports directly to
and receives general supervision from the University Union Event Services Manager, Reservations. The position oversees and monitors the work of student assistants.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Communicates with customers to collect detailed information about the full scope of each event, including catering, furniture and equipment needs, audio-visual needs, parking and event signage requirements, and any special requests in order to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction. Educates guests regarding the scope of available services, planning timelines, and applicable policies and procedures relevant to the guest’s particular needs. Suggests resources that may be useful to the customer including making recommendations for logistical components of events.
2. Evaluates customer requests and schedules necessary services. Determines personnel support needs for events and submits service requests to appropriate internal and external entities including building operations, audio & visual technicians, police officers, and custodians. Determines need and makes arrangements with appropriate external service providers to procure services such as outside equipment rentals. Notifies all service providers of any last minute changes.
3. Identifies need for, coordinates, and facilitates event planning meetings by ensuring the attendance of critical persons, such as Union Event and Operations Staff, Epicure Catering, Public Safety, University Transportation & Parking, Creative Services, and Fire Marshall when appropriate. Forecasts and resolves potential event-related problems and applies sound judgment in assessing and implementing practical solutions in advance of events. Reviews guidelines to determine if the event requires additional risk management review.
4. Maintains master reservations calendar on computerized reservation system for facilities, equipment, and personnel resources. Verifies that reservations cause no room or resource conflicts and corrects noted reservation concerns. Completes data configuration of holidays, building hours, maintenance reservations, rooms, resources, categories, and reports on computerized reservation system.
5. Creates and maintains event diagrams on computerized schematic system for setup configurations which comply with building and fire codes. Provides logistical and planning assistance including preparing room and setup diagrams. Assists customers on the day of their event with problems or requests, including attendance at special events as needed.
6. Implements a complete marketing program to make potential users aware of available services. Acquires and maintains knowledge necessary to suggest and recommend how facilities, equipment and various services on campus may best accommodate the needs of the customer.
7. Keeps current and knowledgeable of all University Union and University event regulations, policies, and procedures. Ensures all events are planned in compliance with these policies and procedures. Collaborates with the customers to find acceptable alternatives when a customer request is against event regulations, policies, or procedures.
8. Learns Student Organizations and Leadership policies as they relate to events on campus. Implements and supports Student Organization and Leadership’s policies and educates student organizations on those policies.
9. Acts as a liaison between Campus Space Management and recognized student organizations to book appropriate space outside the University Union for all student led events. Learns all Space Management policies as they relate to student events on campus. Implements and supports Space Management policies and educates student organizations on those policies.
10. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with university, community representatives, and regular contacts, and executes relationship management communications such as holiday cards, thank you cards, mailing brochures to interested parties, etc. 11. Presents training workshops to educate students, faculty, and staff on Union event facilities, services, policies, and procedures.
12. Provides exceptional catering assistance, including being fully versed in dining services offerings and all aspects of catering services. Works closely with all involved parties to coordinate customer needs, catering operations, Union services, and other support services.
13. Uses a computerized reservation system to maintain detailed, accurate and timely records that ensure successful completion of events. Ensures all planning deadlines are completed in advance of event. Reviews daily operational reports and prepares notes for future events based on feedback.
14. Locates, secures, and coordinates the provision of services for events by establishing and maintaining on campus contacts with Creative Services, Campus Public Safety, Space Management, Facilities Management, University Transportation and Parking and various off campus service providers in order to facilitate event arrangements.
15. Meets with guests during their events, if possible, to ensure that services, facilities, equipment, and staffing are satisfactory.
16. Contacts customers following events to evaluate services and customer satisfaction. Updates guest history based on success of events, and documents ideas for improvement of recurring events on reservation records. Compiles and disseminates evaluation data to facilitate service improvement. Follows up on customer feedback and implements changes to improve customer service.
17. Initiates Union invoicing for the proper amounts following billable events, submits potential invoices to the Assistant Director, Event Services for review and then sends invoice worksheet to financial services department for review.
18. Cross trains in the scheduling duties and responsibilities of other Union office positions in order to provide consistent customer service and backup.
19. Assists with the development and maintenance of procedures for all phases of event arrangements.
20. While providing event coordinating services for the Union, may provide the same services as directed for other on and off campus facilities. Performs other miscellaneous support duties as required.
21. Provides training to student employees. Assists in hiring and evaluating student assistant employees. Delegates tasks and special projects to student assistant employees.
FILING DEADLINE: December 31, 2021
APPLY ONLINE: www.ueijobs.com
Note: This position vacancy is with University Enterprises Inc., an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento. This is not a University position; the incumbent will be an employee of University Enterprises. University Enterprises operates commercial enterprises on the
California State University, Sacramento campus; it is responsible for grant and contract management and fiscal services for University research and sponsored programs and provides fiscal services to University related agencies and activities. University Enterprises is a non-profit corporation
governed by a board of directors in conformance with the appropriate State of California codes and policy directives of the Board of Trustees and the campus administration.
University Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. It is the stated policy of University Enterprises that all employees and applicants shall receive equal consideration and treatment. All recruitment, hiring, placement, and promotions will be on a basis of qualifications of the individual for the position being filled, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age (over 40 years), sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (diagnosis or history of cancer)*, citizenship, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Any persons who feel that they have been discriminated against in connection with an application for employment should contact University Enterprises’ Director of Human Resources at (916) 278-7003. *As defined in Section 12926(F), Government Code 12990.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made crime reporting statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm. Print copies are available in the CSUS library and by
request from the CSUS Office of Public Safety and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.